"ASETs for Coms" Appropriate Sustainable Energy Technologies for Communities
In impoverished and undeveloped areas, small amounts of electricity can free large amounts of human time and labor. In the poorest areas, people carry water and fuel by hand, their food storage may be limited, and their activity is limited to daylight hours.
WAFfEE's ASETs for African commuiites is a grass root distribution, installation and marketing platform aimed at responding to the urgent need for creative and participatory approaches to resolving the energy injustice which over 1.8billion individuals living in off grid/low grid electrification communities experience via the distribution of ASETs to African region community in need. It forms part of WAFfEE's Electrification Education and Adaptation Programme. Amongst others, the programme aims to contribute to the distribution of immediate, practical, affordable and accessible solar generated electrification products as a means for ensuring grass root community members receive immediate access to energy and simultaneous education on the benefits which sustainable energy technologies bring to the African regions climate.
ASETs for Africa Communities Summary
In May 2011, a teams of partners and volunteers of WAFfEE commenced the roll out of pilot needs assessment studies (NAS) on communities across 5 countries of the African continent.
Utilizing a phased approach, the first phase (Stage 1a) of the NAS were completed in November 2011 and the second phase (Stage 1b) is due for completion in January 2014.
Surveying 50 – 350 community members and businesses in selected clusters within each pilot country study area, the NAS are steered towards understanding and addressing issues including cooking practices, access to energy, fuels used, water resource and gender equity in clean energy development.
The first stage of the study Phase 1a, kicked off in the eastern part of Nigeria and studied 4 communities with 100 community members participating in each of the 4 study areas. 60% of Nigeria has no access to electricity, and the remaining 40% that do have access, only have electricity for a few hours a day. Based on the results of our stage 1a studies, plans are underway for a larger scale (mass distribution) of the much needed ASET's products in eastern Nigeria via channels including the community and a recent Women's initiatives.
Each of the other five African country areas can be seen in Table 1.
ASETs for Africa Pilot County Plans (Scale-able & Replaceable) - Table 1)
Nigeria - NA Study Code 1a - Completed
South Africa - NA Study Code 1b
Tanzania - NA Study Code 1c
Botswana - NA Study Code 1d
Zimbabwe - Study Code 1e
Kenya - Study Code 1f
Urgent AASETs rollout via Marketing, Distribution and Installation of ASETs commenced in pilot study area 1a in May 2011 post NA of the study area.
Proposed completion date for listed pilot studies is October 2014.
Recommendations and opportunities for additional pilot studies are welcome.
Working with our partners locally, WAFfEE's Urgent ASETs for AfCom Initiative includes the marketing, distribution and installation of solar powered energy products .